Smart Ways to Prepare for Fall
What with the earlier evenings, colored leaves and chill in the air, it’s no secret that the seasons are changing. As fall rolls in and turns the summer sunshine into chilly darkness, prepare your home before the weather turns totally sour.
Double-Check Your Outdoor Systems
Now’s your chance to take advantage of the last bit of sun. Walk the perimeter of your house and check on all the systems that run outdoors, including:
- Your Honda generator. If your area is prone to heavy winds and storms, a generator is a must-have to keep some bit of electricity going during a power outage. Make sure that it has fresh gas and that its oil has been changed recently.
- Any plumbing. Coil up your hoses and ensure that you put freeze caps on faucets and spigots to prevent damage as it gets colder outside.
- Security and camera systems. Look at the positioning of your cameras and check that they are free of spiderwebs, frost or anything else that might distort their view. Test that everything is working properly, especially as the darkness starts falling earlier.
Weather-Proof Your Home
Constantly running the heater is bad for your pocketbook and bad for Mother Nature. Be kind to both by taking simple steps inside to get your home better insulated.
- Look at all your windows and outside doors (yes, all of them!). Are there any cracks in the seal? Run clean lines of caulk over these cracks and holes to prevent extra drafts from coming in.
- Check the weather stripping under the outside doors, including under the garage door. If it’s looking frayed, shaggy or torn, it’s time to replace it.
- Schedule an appointment to have your HVAC unit serviced. You might also schedule to have your air ducts professionally cleaned as well.
Go Through The House
Don’t forget about getting yourself and your family fall-ready too. Put away your summer things for the season.
- If you want to really get into the spirit of fall, bake your family a pumpkin spice cake for dessert. After all, it is the time for pumpkin spice everything!
- Replace linen sheets with flannels to make your bed the coziest place ever on a blustery autumn night.
- Launder and put away tank tops, swimsuits and shorts. Pull out sweaters, jackets and gloves in their stead.
Every season’s change brings its own gifts. Get your house ready for fall so that you can enjoy everything it has to offer without the added stress of worrying about your house.